Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tuesday - About winter and Japan

Good morning!

How are you? I hope you're all fine and in high spirits. As you can see from the first picture in this post winter is back with snow and everything. I don't want it to settle here forever and maybe by the end of this week it will melt down.


Last evening we had an interesting event at the Japanese school. We commemorated 2 years after the tragedy that struck Japan March 11 2011. The few of us that were brave enough to get out of the house and fight the really bad weather, watched a documentary, listened to our Japanese teachers' self experience with the earthquake and the tsunami (my teacher was here in Romania at that time while his then fiancee now wife was in one of the cities that was most affected by the earthquake - he found out that she was alive only after 24 hours), tried to turn some milk cartons into lamps and sang a song (Sakura wo saku) that was recorded and sent to Japan.

It was a nice feeling to be able to do something for the victims of the earthquake, a little gesture from the heart, a smile from a faraway country, a message for the ones that in reality are giving us a lesson. I hope our thoughts will reach those that need them and will give them a little more strength to fight for their future, for the future of Japan.

Here are some step by step photos of transforming the milk carton into a lamp. I admit I don't have a talent whatsoever in the craft area but I tried my best. I believe it turned out pretty nicely after all.

Htomi sensei's example

first step - grab a milk carton and peel it off (that's the most difficult part of all)
follow carefully the steps 
after cutting the carton



final result
a ray of hope


No comments:

Post a Comment