Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Slippers

OK, before even arguing with my brother for not giving the holiday pictures yet (one of my friends was thinking of ways of torture to persuade him), I'll tell you about a gift. January 1st is not only the first day of a New Year but also an orthodox religious holiday, celebrating St Vasile. I thought about it and wanted to give my boyfriend a gift on his name day, not something expensive but more something that he needed. As I was thinking about it, my brother's girlfriend told us that for the New Year's Eve party that was held in an apartment we were required not to wear shoes in order to keep any damage away from the newly polished wooden floor. I was trying to picture myself and some others in elegant dresses and socks and couldn't get a proper image about it and then it hit me: that's it, slippers. So, after an early morning of arranging things at the location and moving heavy audio equipment, I also got to buy 2 pairs of slippers: one for him, one for me. In Romania, we have this superstition that one shouldn't give as gifts slippers, gloves, scarves, handkerchiefs as they are interpreted as a farewell gift (far from me that intention). What happened? Well, I gave him his gift before midnight because he was going to need it at the party (as I'm writing that it feels like it was a pajamas party) and, surprise: they were far too short for him. Good! Now I think it was a sign and I would never give him slippers again as a gift. Anyway, I ended up wearing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment