Thursday, January 10, 2013

Krav maga

You might have heard about all kind of martial arts, mostly originated in Asia. Krav maga is a martial art originated in Israel, the meaning of which is contact combat, a mix of other martial arts and boxing. It is used mainly by IDF (Israeli Defense Forces). It is known more as a self-defense martial art. If you wonder why am  writing about it, then I must explain.

After talking with some friends a while ago about sports and self effort endurance we got to the subject of martial arts. Then I first found out about krav maga. I also watched on TV some demonstrations on Discovery about the advantages of using its techniques. Up until one other friend that has a friend that knows a friend invited me last Friday at a first lesson. And so went I

Lessons are held at a high-school pretty far from my home, and only in the evening, like after 7.30 pm. Most of participants are men and the training group is a mixed one: some are advanced, while others, beginners. I'm not going to talk about how exhausted I was after those 2 hours of practice nor the sore body next days, but that despite the well organised class I decided I cannot do it. Why you may wonder? Well, thanks to my ankle that  I've twisted like 3 times in a row in the past I now can't jump as I used to and it becomes more and more painful to endure some movements. I don't fear exercising and I do it even at home or whenever the weather is fine and I can jog in the park, but the image of the advanced ones jumping and slamming and kicking just couldn't fit into my mind. What I do appreciate is that krav maga has attacks planned to finish the fight as fast as possible in order for the victim to escape its opponent/s. The movements are fast and efficient. It is conceived for real situations like when someone might attack you on the street. The attacks are also pretty much brutal. I respect the ones that practice this sport but I choose my ankle.

I think I'll resume to jogging.


No comments:

Post a Comment